Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Turkey Trot



Last year Bridger won the Turkey Trot race at school and was awards a big turkey from K's grocery store.  I've been intimidated to cook a big turkey because I've never cooked one before.  The turkey trot race was coming up so I finally cooked the turkey!!!  I took it out the day before and called mom and asked her how to cook a turkey.  She laughed and said that it would be too frozen and I should have taken it out days ago.  She told me to put it in cold water and hopefully that would speed along the thawing process.  That night I put it in the fridge and by morning it was mostly thawed out.  I followed mom's directions and prepared the turkey even though it totally grossed me out!  It was Bridger's primary program so we invited Grandpa and Grandma A, Angie and the girls, Marilyn, and Grandpa and Grandma R to come to the program and then stay for lunch.  Bridger did a great job in the primary program.  He said "I've learned many things from President Thomas S. Monson.  If we pray, we will be blessed."  He knew every song!  It was a beautiful program.  
Everyone enjoyed the dinner.  The turkey was a little dry but with Mom's gravy it was great!  Bridger ate one of the legs.
The next day was supposed to be the Turkey Trot race but it was pouring rain so they postponed it to the following day.  Bridger really wanted me to come and watch him so Tanner and I came to the school and cheered Bridger on.  Bridger was really nervous about the race.  They made the race twice as long this year.  Normally the kids start at the school and then run to the end of the street.  But this year they changed it and the kids had to run around two blocks which made it a big circle back to the school.  At the starting line, a police officer was running it.  He asked "who won it last year?"  Bridger raised his hand and he jokingly said "no winning it this year, ok?"   I was texting Matt when I heard "Go Bridger! You're almost there!"  I looked up and there was Bridger coming towards the finish line and he was in first place!  Unfortunately I couldn't get my phone fast enough so I didn't get any pictures.  Bridger won first place again!!!  He was so excited!!!  The kids were really nice to him and congratulated him.  Bridger was a little disappointed because they were not giving out turkeys to the  winner.  He won a 1 liter soda and a candy bar.  The second place got just a soda and the third place won a candy bar.  But Bridger got bragging rights so he was ok with it in the end.  





No comments:

Post a Comment