Friday, August 12, 2016

Apricots coming out of our ears!

The house we're renting has an apricot tree.  Last year the tree did not produce one apricot.  It made up for it this year because the tree was packed full of apricots!  For a month and a half we've been picking apricots.  At first I didn't want to waste them so I made apricot nectar.  It's kind of gross but I'm hoping to add it to smoothies or mostly sprite to hid the taste.  I borrowed my neighbors dehydrator and did a huge patch of apricots.  But then I realized I still had a tree full of apricots.  So I broke down and bought my own dehydrator.  It's not fancy but it gets the job done.

I ended up doing several batches of apricot fruit leather (it was gross with just apricots so I added orange juice to sweeten it up).  Then I did multiple batches of dried apricots.  The family doesn't really like them but I figure if we're  starving, we can eat them.  At least I like them.  We gave a lot away to our home and visiting teaching families and neighbors.  By the end of our apricot season, we gave up and wasted a lot of apricots because I was burned out!  You can only eat so many apricots.  I felt like we had apricots coming out of our ears.  The bad thing was that I was the only one that would eat fresh apricots.  The rest of the family didn't like them.




No comments:

Post a Comment