Saturday, July 9, 2011

Echo Triathlon

Last year I did my first open water triathlon and it was a disaster. I was scared to death my entire swim and then I was struggling with some tendon issues so my bike and run were disappointing. My time was 1:36. I never wanted to do it again but Sarah convinced me to redeem myself and do it again. So Sarah, Pam, and I signed up to do the Echo triathlon. On Tuesday, we went out to the lake and practiced. Krista taught me a new way to spot and it helped so much. I'm getting used to keeping my head in the water and not being able to see anything. Pam told me that I was kicking my legs too much but it's because I just want to be done. So going into this triathlon, I was hoping to do better than last year. I told myself that all I had to do was swim for 20 minutes. I ended up feeling great during my swim. I was able to stay in a rhythm. I just kept telling myself to relax and enjoy the moment. I was surprised how quickly the swim went. I was just so happy to be done with the swimming part. I finished my swim in 18 minutes! Yea! I got 40 minutes on my bike ride. My legs started to feel tired towards the end and I had a hard time pushing it. My run started off a little too good. I pushed it too hard the first couple of miles. I was keeping a 7:45 pace. So by last mile my legs felt like concrete. So I ended up with a 8:11 pace which I was still happy with. When I crossed the finish line Sarah ran up to me and said "you made it in 1:30!" That was my dream time so I was ecstatic!!! A little bit later we went to look at the results and I was listed as third in my age group. I couldn't believe it!! (Overall 1:30, S 18:40, T1 3:44, B 40:44, RT2 27:40, Age 3/22, Overall women 19/102, Overall Men and Women 84/244) Sarah got fourth place in her age division by 15 seconds. She was a little disappointed but still felt really good about her race. Pam unfortunately felt the way I did last year. She really struggled through the swim. But I was so proud of her for completing the race and not giving up. We hung around for the medal ceremony. I had the biggest smile on my face when they called my name and I walked up to the podium. I got a medal for winning third place in my age group. I was on cloud nine. It was an incredible feeling to know that all my hard work payed off. I feel so grateful for my strong, healthy body. I also love my friends. They have been so supportive end encouraging. I love spending time with them. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by incredible friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment