Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Bridger's Appendicitis

When Bridger finished his soccer game on Saturday afternoon, he complained of his stomach hurting.  I didn't really think anything of it because his stomach hurts a lot.  Later that night he mentioned it again but was really unspecific.  So I gave him some Mylanta and his tummy medicine and sent him to bed.  Then Sunday morning, he came upstairs and said "something doesn't feel right.  My tummy hurts."  I gave him some ibuprofen and said we had to get to church.  He didn't mention it again until later that night after a R's family party.  He didn't eat much at the party but he ran around with his cousins.  Monday morning he woke up before school and said "My tummy hurts too bad.  I can't go to school."  I was feeling sick so I told him to go back to bed.  He just lounged around and played video games until we had to go down to Ogden.  While we were at Marilyn's house, he started to feel really sick.  Marilyn told me that he looks really pale and I should probably take him in.  Then I decided that I needed to take him seriously.  So I went in to Bridger and started poking around and asking more specific questions.  He had all the signs for an appendicitis.  Matt was bust at work so I called Layne.  I asked him how Thomas acted when he had his appendicitis.  I told Layne how Bridger was acting and he said that he probably had an appendicitis.  By the time we got home it was 9:30.  Matt had just got home and was exhausted from a long day.  We decided to let Bridger try to sleep and see how he did during the night.  The next morning he woke complaining of the same thing.  His tummy pain seemed to be a little worse.  I called the doctor but they couldn't get him in until the afternoon.  So I called Matt and told him I was taking him to the ER.  The ER got busy just as we got there.  The CBC didn't show an elevated white count.



The physican assistant said we would have to wait awhile for the CT scan but we could do an ultrasound and see if anything shows up that way.  The US tech wouldn't say anything when I asked her is she saw anything.  She just printed off a picture and said "this is scrapbook worthy."  Then the physican assistant walked in a few minutes later and said "sure enough, Bridger is having an appendicitis."  His appendix was very swollen.  Matt was very shocked.  The operating rooms were really busy so Bridger had to wait until around 6:00 to go back.    


The ER transferred Bridger to the floor so he could wait in a room and have more privacy.  Matt did the anesthesia.  He was nervous about it.  So he had Layne come in and just be with him incase anything went wrong.  I love how willing Michael and Layne are to help out (Michael was already in an OR room).  Dr. M did the surgery.  Mom and Dad came and helped with the other kids.  They took them home and fixed them some dinner and then went back home around 9:30 (Brandon had a liver biopsy the next day).   Everything went really well with the surgery.   Dr. M said it was definitely an appendicitis.  He said that it looked like it had festered for a few days but luckily we caught it before it ruptured.
Bridger was in a lot of pain postoperatively.  Matt gave him a lot of pain medication but it wasn't working for the should pain that comes from the gas.  It took awhile to get his pain under control.  Everyone took such great care of Bridger.  Finally around 10:30 Bridger was able to keep down some sips of sprite and his pain was doing better so they let us go home.  I had Bridger sleep in Tanner's room.  Luckily he was able to sleep through the night.  He's been so brave!!!  He missed a week of school and went back on Monday.  He's recovered really quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment