Saturday, April 2, 2011

Matt's 40th Surprise Party


On April 1st, I threw Matt a surprise 40th birthday party. Some people thought that it was a joke but I told them it was for real. I made an invitation that had a high school picture on it and sent it to our neighbors, family, and friends. Ardell and Charlene came down earlier in the day and helped me things up. Shantelle came over too and then she ran a couple of errands for me. I had Cathy and Dan ask Matt it we wanted to double date Friday night. We dropped the boys off at their house to "eat pizza" but really Hayleigh took them down to the stake center so they could be at the party. The boys were amazing at keeping the party a secret. When we got to the restaurant there was no wait. Then they brought our food out really quick. I was planning on it taking longer. Cathy and I went and hung out in the bathroom to waste some time. During dinner, Dan set things up. He said he needed to stop by the stake center to pick up some computer wire. At first, Matt was questioning who it was for and why, etc... But then he dropped it. He just seemed disappointed that we were going to miss our movie. When we pulled into the parking lot there were lots of cars. Matt said "I wonder what's going on at the church?" Cathy and I responded, "probably some family fun stuff." There were people from our ward pulling into the parking lot at the same time but Matt didn't seem to notice. Dan asked if we wanted to come in with him. We said "sure." When we walked into the church I realized that Matt truly had no idea about the party. He had a toothpick in his mouth and he was checking some stuff on his phone. We kind of waiting by the door to the cultural hall. Matt walked up to it and opened it. The room was almost dark and people yelled out surprise. Matt quickly shut the door and said "Oh my gosh, I think I just walked in on someone's surprise party!" That's when I started to laugh and I told him that it was HIS surprise party. When we walked in we couldn't believe how many people were there. We had wonderful support from our friends and family. We had lots of people from the ward. Matt gave a little speech after the shock wore off. Then we sang Matt Happy Birthday. People enjoyed looking at lots of old pictures of Matt. Charlene did a great job of putting together pages of old pictures. Towards the end of the night, our sweet Minnesota friends showed up. They had been in Salt Lake having a birthday dinner with Kirk. It meant so much to us that they would drive all the way down for such a short time. It was wonderful to have their support. They're part of our family. We loved having them there. It ended up being a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment